If you’re anything like me, you love a good outdoor gameThere’s something about a fun outdoor game for me that brings back all the best memories. We used to play so many outdoor games as teenagers, and now we play them as a family! The feeling of fresh air, the excitement of competition – there’s simply nothing that can beat it.
The Best Lawn Games
That’s why I’ve put together this guide to share some of my family’s favorite outdoor games that have been a hit with teenagers and adults.
Whether you’re looking for a new activity, some outdoor games for teenagers, a family game night, or simply want to find a way to get your older kids to spend more time outside and less time on their screens, you’re in the right place.
Having a collection of outdoor games at our disposal has truly been a game-changer for our family and friend gatherings. From pool basketball to a friendly match of horseshoes, we’ve hand-picked and fallen in love with each one of these games. Each brings its own unique flavor of fun to our backyard activities. Here’s how we make the most out of the equipment we own and absolutely love
Family Favorites We Own and Love
Refillable Water Balloons – The Suprise Hit of the Summer
Taking a chance on these reusable water balloons was one of my best decisions last summer. These were a HUGE hit with everyone! Each one is made from silicone material that can be used again and again. Every child that came to play absolutely loved them. They stood up to the test of a full season of outdoor play, never losing their appeal. When you first get them, the two halves of the balloon are held together by a small strip. Over the many weeks, we used them, that small strip separated, but the balloons never stopped functioning.
Disclosure: This post contains commissionable links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
They self-seal, with a magnetic enclosure eliminating the need for the tedious tying of regular water balloons. A unanimous favorite, these refillable water balloons were a fantastic addition to our summer activities. I will definitely be ordering a fresh set this season!
Pool Basketball – Best Game to Beat the Heat
If you’re lucky enough to have a pool, pool basketball is a perfect game for beating the summer heat. Designed to withstand splashing, dunking, and endless hours of fun, our pool basketball game has proven to be both sturdy and durable, a testament to its quality.
We love this basketball hoop and have been so impressed with it. Weighing just enough to stay in place, the base can also be filled with water for added stability during those exciting, high-energy matches. What we love the most is that the hoop is generously sized – large enough to make scoring a fun challenge but not too difficult that it deters younger kids or less experienced players. And let’s not forget about the balls; they’re made to last and float!
This fun poolside basketball hoop was a hit at two very different parties, one filled with 13-year-olds and another with a younger crowd of 8-year-olds. The laughter and cheers were a clear sign that everyone loved the game, regardless of their age. Pool basketball checks all the boxes for a great outdoor game, making it a favorite part of our collection.
Tiki Toss – Best to Kill Time
Also known as the Bimini ring game is one of our favorite simple additions to our yard. Play alone or against a friend. The Tiki Toss is simple to learn yet challenging to master. It requires players to swing a ring on a string and try to hook it onto a hook attached to a post. It’s a great way to test your aim and patience!
Shop Tiki Toss
Badminton – Best All Around Crowd Pleaser
There’s a reason why the classic game of Badminton continues to be a go-to for outdoor gatherings – its simplicity and competitiveness appeal to all ages, making it an all-around crowd-pleaser.
Our badminton set, in particular, has several features that make it a must-have for any family that loves outdoor activities.
Our set offers easy assembly and packing, standing out for its durability and compact storage capability. It comes with four rackets and at least one birdie, ready to play straight out of the box. It’s a game that works beautifully for competitive teens or as a fun activity at a family gathering.
Cornhole – Best for All Ages
The game of cornhole is a must-have at any outdoor party! This deceptively simple game draws in players of all ages and skill levels. Tossing bean bags onto a wooden platform, we aim for a hole that’s trickier to hit than it looks. Ideal for team play, Cornhole comes into its own at big family gatherings.
We grabbed our Cornhole set from Costco a few years ago – it’s been a decision we haven’t regretted. If you’re not a Costco member, consider this beautiful bean bag toss from Crate and Barrel. This sturdy, well-designed game adds an aesthetic appeal to any yard. The unique tic-tac-toe game incorporated into the bean bag toss is an added bonus feature and is great for little kids.
The set packs securely have sturdy handles for transport and a lock to keep everything in place during transportation. Plus, it’s compact enough for easy storage.
Shop Cornhole Sets
Giant Jenga – Supersized Game of Strategy Fun
A supersized version of a beloved indoor game, Giant Jenga takes fun to new heights. The game involves more than just removing blocks – it demands strategy, balance, and a keen eye. Its appeal spans all age groups, and it’s particularly engaging for larger gatherings.
Shop Giant Jenga
Bocce Ball – Best for Relaxing
Bocce Ball is a game of strategy and precision and a fantastic choice for a relaxed yet engaging activity. Whether played with a smaller group or larger teams, it has consistently provided entertainment at our gatherings.
Each of these games, cherished and tested by us, has brought unique fun, and unforgettable moments to our outdoor gatherings. They are much more than just equipment; they’re sources of laughter, shared joy, and wonderful memories. Below are even more ideas that are perfect for outdoor games for teenagers & families.
Selecting the Perfect Outdoor Game for Teenagers & Families: Things to Consider
The right game can turn a casual hangout into an explosion of laughter and fun. So, how do you choose the best outdoor game? Here are a few factors to help ensure everyone has a blast:
- Age and Skill Levels: Find a game that’s exciting for both older kids and little ones.
- Group Size: Some games work best with large groups, while others shine in smaller circles.
- Space: Match the game to your environment. A large field or a cozy backyard, there’s a game for every space.
- Safety: Match the games to the participants’ physical activity and skill levels.
- Fun Factor and Goal of the Game: Opt for a traditional game or try a new favorite or a twist on a classic.
- Event Type: Certain games are better for birthday parties, and others for more casual gatherings.
Ultimately, the aim is to encourage laughter, play, and bonding. So, grab your gear and jump into the world of fun outdoor games!
10 More Outdoor Games for Teenagers
Teenagers love a challenge, and what better way to engage them than with fun outdoor games that test their skills? Here are my top ten picks:
1. Ultimate Frisbee: An all-time favorite outdoor games for teenagers for a reason – it’s a fun game with simple rules, yet it’s so much fun and perfect for larger groups.
2. Flashlight Tag: The fun doesn’t have to stop when the sun goes down. This game adds a fun twist to traditional tag. Plus, it’s one of the best ways to use those extra flashlights.
3. Last Teen Standing: This game requires quick thinking and fast moves. It’s a great way to get everyone moving, and the last person standing wins!
4. Balloon Stomp: This classic outdoor game gets everyone moving. Try it with water balloons for extra fun!
5. Dodge Ball: With a set time limit, this high-energy game is perfect for burning off steam. The last person who avoids the ball wins!
6. Bean Bag Toss: Simple yet engaging, it’s a great outdoor game to practice aim and hand-eye coordination.
7. Obstacle Course: Use pool noodles, hula hoops, and jump ropes to create a course that’s just challenging enough for older kids.
8. Soccer Ball Relay: Divide the group into two teams. The first team to get the soccer ball to the finish line using only their feet wins!
9. Giant Outdoor Games: These games are always a hit, from giant Jenga to oversized Connect Four. The best part? They can accommodate a large number of players.
10. Night Games with Glow Sticks: Glow sticks can turn any regular tag game into an unforgettable night adventure.
10 More Outdoor Games Ideas for Families
Engaging the whole family in a fun outdoor game can be a great bonding experience. Here are some games that are sure to be a hit:
1. Scavenger Hunt: Create a list of objects for the kids to find. The first person or team to find all the objects wins!
2. Lawn Twister: You can take this classic game outside with some spray paint and a flat surface. Perfect for smaller and larger groups alike.
3. Water Balloon Fights: This is a perfect way to cool off on hot summer days. Plus, it’s so much fun!
4. Hula Hoop Contest: See who can keep the hula hoop moving the longest. A simple game, but one that offers lots of fun.
5. Pool Noodle Race: Each person hides a pool noodle, and the rest of the group tries to find them. A fun twist on hide-and-seek!
6. Beach Ball Volleyball: This takes the traditional game and makes it accessible for all skill levels. Plus, it can be played in the water, making it a great game for beach outings.
7. Jump Rope Challenge: Set a time limit and see who can jump the longest without tripping. A great game for increasing physical activity.
8. Home Base Tag: An oldie but goodie, this game of tag involves trying to get to home base before being tagged. It’s a simple game that’s always a hit.
9. Point Value Toss: Assign different point values to hula hoops or buckets and toss bean bags to score points. A perfect game that combines fun and math!
10. Birthday Party Games: Pin the Tail on the Donkey, Musical Chairs, or Pass the Parcel, these classic games are always a great idea for children’s birthday
Tips For Organizing Your Game Day
Planning an unforgettable outdoor game day doesn’t have to be complicated. Here are a few tips to make your next event a hit:
- Plan Ahead: Make sure you have the right gear, space, and number of participants for each game.
- Provide a variety of games: Keep people interested by offering a variety of different games.
- Keep It Casual: A relaxed atmosphere can make the day more fun for everyone. Remember, the goal is to have fun and bond.
- Take Breaks: Incorporate breaks to relax, hydrate, and refuel.
- Celebrate the winners: A little friendly competition is fun, but everyone is a winner when you’re having a great time.
Remember, it’s not about who wins or loses, it’s about creating memories. So get out there, soak up the sun, and have some fun!